Courses & Workspaces are the foundation of your classroom and content. They are (1) the top-most containers of other content types, and (2) where we register students (and teachers).
While a Course is linked to an actual Classroom (and can be rostered automatically from your School Information System), a Workspace is a private work area for students (and teachers) to create and share their own content.
A Course and a Workspace can contain all other types of content. To create nested content, courses and workspaces can contain Groups where you can customize membership. Groups can also be nested (i.e. you can create subgroups to infinite levels). You can read more in the Groups article.
Note: Please refer to the permissions article for more details, this is just an overview
- Admin: An Admin, typically teacher / owner, can make any changes to the container. Specifically, only the Admin can add / remove members, change member roles.
- Edit: Allow content addition and changing. For example, you can add resources, rename titles.
- Read: This is the default role for students, only read-access to its content (unless visibility affected as shown in the next paragraph).
Student and Parent visibility
A course admin (i.e. Teacher) can hide content from members and / or parents.
- The blue button hides the content from all members, including those with Edit rights (course Admins will always see the course even if it is hidden).
- The green button allows you to hide content from parents.
Parent Access and Privacy
This discussion would not be complete without a note about student privacy. Parents accessing the Application can only see private information relating to their children. They can't see other students' private information (including email addresses, grades). For instance, if you allow a parent to access a test or homework, they will only see their student's answers (and grade if you enable it in the Test settings).
Course vs. Actual Classroom
Courses (and their groups) contain members, they are the starting reference points for your digital classroom: 1. You can add content 2. You can control your classroom real-time from My Classroom.
Course students can be provisioned in two ways, via SIS or Codes as explained in the article about Codes.
Workspaces are private spaces for teachers and students to organize their work. As a general rule, they are not visible to anyone else unless you give them access (e.g. via codes).
This was a short article to introduce the top containers. Courses are key for your teaching activities. We strongly recommend you go through the Content Wizard and read about Groups.